This is a simple but delicious dish. Know that nothing is set in stone here! If there is something you don’t like, then remove and replace! Get playful in there! If you are new to cooking, I always suggest following the recipe a few times and then adjust from there. Please check at the bottom of the recipe for advice and my personal preferences!
Prep: 10-20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30-40 minutes
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium/large white or yellow onion, diced
2 portabella mushrooms (or approx. 2 cups of your mushroom choice), diced
2 peppers, colour of your choice, diced
1 – 1.5lbs of ground beef, chicken or turkey. Vegetarians sub with one package of tofu, drained and cut into small cubes. Or just double on the vegetables!
Your choice of wrap – soft or hard. Lettuce for low carb
Optional toppings: Cheese, sour cream, green onions, tomatoes, avocado, lettuce
2 – 4 tablespoons Chili powder
1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
1/2 – 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
2 1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Better the Bouillon beef or vegetable base (stock) mixed with 1/2 cup of water (optional)
1. Start with combining all seasoning ingredients except Better than Bouillon paste and water
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in pan on low-medium. Add beef and begin to brown. Half way through browning meat, add half of the seasoning and stock (if using). Cook until fully browned.
If vegetarian: Allow tofu to partial become golden. Add half of the seasoning and stock (if using). Cook until tofu is crispy.
3. Heat remaining oil in pan on low-medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, until onions start to become translucent
4. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes
5. Add peppers and cook for 3 minutes
6. Mix in the remaining seasoning and stock. Cook for 5 more minutes
7. Make your taco folks!
*Sometimes I use one small zucchini replacing one of the peppers
*I often use romaine lettuce for low-carb wrap. They are large and crunchy!
*I try to make a 500ml mason jar of the seasoning so it’s always ready to go!
*When I’m in a pinch I will use a back-up package of Old El Paso Hot & Spicy seasoning